November 16, 2015
Lincoln, Neb. — Crop and livestock producers, consultants and others interested in learning how to address critical issues related to farm finances are encouraged to view an upcoming webinar series.
Beginning at 10 a.m. Nov. 23, experts from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's Department of Agricultural Economics will discuss financial issues affecting Nebraska farmers and ranchers during webinars each Monday for five consecutive weeks. The series is sponsored by the Department of Agricultural Economics, Nebraska Extension and the Nebraska Department of Agriculture.
"The financial environment for agriculture has undergone significant changes in recent years," according to Larry Van Tassell, head of the Department of Agricultural Economics. "These webinars aim to provide farmers and ranchers with financial principles they can apply to their own operations."
The webinars can be viewed online at http://farm.unl.edu/farmfinances. Each session will be recorded for later viewing. There is no cost to watch the webinars.
The schedule and topics:
- Nov. 23, 10 a.m., "Cornhusker Economics Outlook": This is a concise, fast-paced discussion of crop, livestock, policy and financial outlook with attention to production, management and marketing decisions for 2016. Presenters are Brad Lubben, Kathleen Brooks, Cory Walters and Jay Parsons.
- Nov. 30, 10 a.m., "Know Your Costs": Presenters will review marginal analysis and enterprise budgets, which are tools producers can use to understand how and where to implement cost control measures. Presenters are Matt Stockton, Robert Tigner, Roger Wilson and Tina Barrett.
- Dec. 7, 10 a.m., "Negotiating Your Lease": This session will look at current lease values, discuss leasing alternatives and give suggestions on how to communicate to hold leasing costs down. Presenters are Allen Vyhnalek, Tina Barrett, Dave Aiken, Tim Lemmons, Roger Wilson and Jim Jansen.
- Dec. 14, 10 a.m., "Communicating with Your Banker": Bankers will share how they approach loan requests and what financial documentation is most useful to lenders and producers. Presenters are Larry Van Tassell and a panel of four bankers.
- Dec. 21, 10 a.m., "Decision Making in an Uncertain World": This session, based on the topics covered in previous webinars, will explore important factors producers need to consider in making decisions in an uncertain world. Presenters are Jay Parsons, Cory Walters and Kathleen Brooks.
For more information on the webinars, visit http://farm.unl.edu/farmfinances or contact the Department of Agricultural Economics at 402-472-3401.
Larry Van Tassell
Department of Agricultural Economics