June 5, 2013
LINCOLN, Neb. — Nebraska horse riders will compete June 11-14 and June 18-19 in University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension 4-H District Horse Shows.
Competition categories include Western pleasure ponies, junior and senior divisions of Western pleasure, Western horsemanship, hunter under saddle, hunt seat equitation, reining, pole bending and barrel racing, said Lena Cottle, UNL equine extension specialist.
Riders awarded blue and purple ribbons at district shows qualify to enter the 2013 4-H Horse Exposition in Grand Island July 14-19 and automatically will be entered into state classes. It is the exhibitor's responsibility to enter the Ak-Sar-Ben 4-H Horse Show in September.
The annual district shows are held at county fairgrounds across Nebraska. All times listed are local. This year's dates, times, locations and local contact persons are:
– June 11, 9 a.m. check- in, 10 a.m. show time, Chadron, Scott Cotton, 308-432-3373
– June 12, 8 a.m. check- in, 9 a.m. show time, McCook, Brian Strauch, 308-345-3390
– June 13, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, Lexington, Bruce Treffer, 308-324-5501
– June 14, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, Beatrice, Jane Esau, 402-223-1384
– June 18, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, O'Neill, Gary Stauffer, 402-336-2760
– June 19, 8 a.m. check-in, 9 a.m. show time, West Point, Larry Howard, 402-372-6006
For more information about the district and state horse shows, including complete schedules and rules, visit the 4-H District Horse Shows website at http://animalscience.unl.edu/web/anisci/anscdistrict4hhorseshowsinformation.
Nebraska 4-H is part of UNL Extension in the university's Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources.Lena Cottle, Ph.D.
Sandi Alswager Karstens
IANR News Service